Young Advocates' Standing Committee Application
The Young Advocates’ Standing Committee (“YASC”) seeks engaged, hard-working volunteers to promote the interests of young advocates (lawyers ten years of call or fewer) through planning and implementing mentoring/networking programs, administering YASC’s publication by and for young advocates (Keeping Tabs) and participating in the work of The Advocates’ Society (the “Society”).
The Society welcomes applications to YASC from Society members who are ten years of call or fewer. Successful applicants will serve a two-year term starting May 2018 (subject to re-application). Parental leave will be accommodated.
Deadline for application submission is March 9, 2018 at 11:59 p.m.
In addition to answering the following questions, please provide a current resume.
At which firm or ogranization do you currently practice law?
Year of Call:
In what city/region is your legal practice?
Please list a phone number where we can contact you:
Please list an email address where we can contact you:
Are you fluent in any languages aside from English? (optional)
Describe your legal practice (including the size of the organization at which you practice and your area of specialization, if any):
The Society is committed to diversity and YASC encourages applications from women, indigenous peoples, francophones, persons with disabilities, racialized peoples and members of the LGBTQ communities. Do you identify as falling in one or more of these categories? (optional)
Please provide the name of a reference below:
Reference phone number:
Interest in the Advocates' Society
1. Please describe your previous involvement with YASC and/or the Society.
2. Why do you want to be a member of YASC?
YASC members are typically minimally expected to: (i) attend a monthly meeting (in person if practicing in Toronto, or by telephone if practicing outside of Toronto); (ii) take leadership of at least one YASC initiative each year; (iii) take a secondary role in 2 – 3 other YASC initiatives a year; and (iv) attend Society events in their city/region. Do you believe you will be able to make this time commitment? If not, please explain.
Please note that it is not necessary to have experience in all of the areas described below in order to be a successful applicant. Rather, we are seeking information regarding your knowledge and experience in order to put together a diverse and well-rounded committee.
1. Please Describe your experience working as part of a team:
2. Please describe your knowledge of, experience and level of comfort with social media (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, etc.) and/or any experience you may have with marketing/communications:
3. Please describe your writing/editorial experience:
4. Please describe your experience with mentoring (either as a mentor or mentee):
5. Please describe any experience with governance, strategic planning, event planning and/or fundraising:
6. Please describe any other experience that you believe would be relevant to work on YASC that is not covered:
Please submit a current resume:
Do Not Fill This Out